Monday, June 22, 2009

Bakinspiration for the Day with a Twist



Its Cookie Time:
The recipe for the day comes from a basic cookie recipe packed with great ingredients. My Baking Addiction made a coconut pecan chocolate chip cookie that made my mouth water so I started thinking about cookies and what else I could cram into a cookie. I like the idea of coconut right now. It seems quite fitting for summer and tropical goodness. My mind began churning and I remembered a strange and very impulse purchase I made a few weeks back at the register of trader joes. They were dried Hibiscus flowers (as seen below). Why not nix the chocolate chips and pecans and really make a tropical treat by chopping up a few of these (or the bag) and putting them in the cookies. The fruity taste would completely complement the coconut so why not. Here is my recipe with a twist.




Coconut Hibiscus Cookies


Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup chopped dried hibiscus flowers
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Directions
1. Place oven racks in the upper and lower 1/3's of the oven.
2.
Heat oven to 350°F.
3. Grease two large cookie sheets.
4. Mix flour, baking powder & salt in a bowl or bag and set aside.
5. Mix butter and sugars with with a mixer until blended and smooth, add eggs & vanilla; mix until incorporated.
6. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
7. Stir in hibiscus and coconut.
8. Divide into 18 equal balls, a 2" cookie scoop works just about perfectly
.
9. EVENLY space 9 on each cookie sheet.
10. Bake for 12-18 minutes, rotating front to back and top to bottom after 8 minutes.

11. Cool on sheets to maintain chewy texture.


I would like to take My Baking Addiction for her great recipe and beautiful picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment